Here are some cool club events coming up, plus some announcements:
1. Membership sign up for 2013 is here: https://earlysignup.com/tatmembership PLEASE print your TAT card to show at ORU front desk! Membership includes a high-viz swim cap, a car sticker,and when they get here, temporary tattoos. $7.00 gets ya a nice quality TAT bike bottle. Additional swim caps will be for sale ($5)
3. We are planning a WNR kick-off tail gate party March 13. Info soon.
4. We're so hip we have a Twitter account! @TAToklahoma.
5. We are planning a SWIM / S-U-P-SOCIAL when the area lakes are warmer. SUP = Stand Up Paddleboarding! (SUPOklahoma is on Facebook, btw)
6. More Beach-to-Beach-and-Beyond training opportunities as soon as we get some dates set.
7. ORU pool is OPEN - OPEN - OPEN. (old Mervyn's commercial). Pool appears to be holding water well, and may be able to stay open all semester. So our Tuesday and Thursday swims are ON! Still 6-7 pm, and add'l $5 drop-in fee for other hours during regular pool hours. Monthly passes need to be arranged by talking to Julie at the Aerobics Center.
8. Kits—getting the kinks worked out. Strongly considering Sugoi again. Tweaking color scheme to appeal to women too, not just masculine colors.
10. TRI CAMP '13 started with a free info meeting March 3 at 3 pm at Hideaway. SECOND INFO MEETING tentatively March 31. location TBA. We will partner with Tulsa Bicycle Club to use their Spring Training Rides for some of the bike training. Click on "newbies" link on the left side of home page for the details.
February 23, 2013 No Comments
TriTULSA info to come soon!
Watch this Facebook page for race-related chatter. And the blue Facebook button on the right side of our club website takes you right to OUR club's page.
February 1, 2013 3 Comments
Next up on the TAT social scene is our annual Light Run.
DECEMBER 4 at 6 pm
Doubleshot Coffee Company
1730 South Boston Ave.
Meet at 6 pm, socialize some while we assemble the running group(s). Leave for the run maybe around 6:20-ish. Head lamp and reflective gear encouraged, but not mandatory.
3-4+ mile run through the lovely homes nearby. One Santa decoration in particular may be of interest! Coffee, hot cocoa (adult beverage augmentation okay), finger foods.
You don't have to run; many just come to hang out. Family welcomed, dogs on leashes okay and strollers okay too! NON-TAT or prospective members invited too!
ELECTIONS for 2013 officers after the run. NOMINATIONS OPEN. Will take names from the floor at the meeting too.
. President: Carolyn Fairless unless someone else wants to jump on in!
. President Elect: Matt Weaver
. Secretary: Kenneth Gonzales
. Membership: Keith Kelley
. Treasurer: Janet Wilson
. Members at Large: Joey Gursky, Jessi Hargis, Barbara Pinkerton, and Larry Erps
. STILL WANT (NEED) one more members at large. This is very good way to learn more about the club, and add new ideas and energy.
See you there!
November 28, 2012 No Comments
Nov 11 Sunday 3 pm: President’s Porch Party and country cook-out.
Join us for an end-of-year family event with TAT friends old and new. Meet and thank our sponsors also! We will have hot dogs and s'mores down in the "rock room", and you can relax either by hanging out on the big wide porch, or enjoy the trails, quarry and creek. Socialized dogs okay (on leash). BYOB and POTLUCK contribution by last name:
Annual Holiday Light Run Dec 4 at Doubleshot Coffee at 6pm. Officer elections, light finger foods, coffee and hot cocoa, and an easy run through the neighborhood. New this year—SHOP AND SWAP. Bring your still serviceable SBR gear to swap or sell. (suggestions: older Garmins that still work? wheel sets? entry level road bike that needs a home? Whatever you think would sell.)
I will put this stuff up on FACEBOOK and on the club website with more info on both events.
Watch for E-vites, and join in the fun!
Carolyn and the board
October 18, 2012 No Comments
triTulsa Triathlon Festival for 2012 is in its final stages of planning and is shaping up to be a cool two-day event. It is moving to the SOUTH side of Heyburn Lake where we will have a delightful bike and run course along some "less scenic" terrain.
KID RACE and Sprint distance on SATURDAY September 8, and Oly-distance race on Sunday September 9, 2012.
August 22, 2012 No Comments
NEWSFLASH-- the first swim-run-swim was a hit so we are going back for more. How does "BEACH TO BEACH... and BEYOND" sound to ya?! Kid wave and two adult waves. MONDAY AUGUST 27 (yes, a school night but soooo worth it for the kids to get to do a cool fun mini swim-run-swim with a cute twist at the finish.... show up to find out). For those of you who work later or have a longer drive to get to the lake, we will have TWO heats-- an earlier one ~ 6:30 pm and later one ~7:30 pm. Same location--- Sheppard Point. Modifying the swim a little bit. Still a poker hand to collect at each dealer station. Prizes! Hang out after with your TAT tribe. BYOB and chairs. More details below. Questions? Email email@example.com.
AUGUST 17, 2012:
1st Annual Swim-Run-Swim Poker Bash & Family Club Social (for lack of a more concise name).... a fun way to combine the keg from the Du, our Friday night swim, and some extra run training. No beer til after you're safely back ashore of course.
6:00 pm. Sheppard Point at Lake Heyburn. We will have beer, snacks, prizes. Bring your swim gear, running shoes, and a chair. We will swim across the lake, where your shoes will all be in a huge pile. You have to dig your shoes out, run a 2-3 mile course, then take your shoes off, and swim back across the lake. You will be given poker cards at several checkpoints, which you will have to get back to the finish line with. Where you choose to hide your cards during the swim is up to you. We invited everyone from TAT to join us, so I hope to have a good turnout!! Bring your family and kids! Questions? text me at 918-625-5200 and I'll call ya back.
August 17, 2012 No Comments
Chris Brown Tulsa Du
August 11 at Mohawk Park. This long-running 5k/30K/5K duathlon returns to Mohawk Park with some fun new course modifications. Read all about it here: https://www.earlysignup.com/cbdu/. LOOK for the TAT banner post-race and get to know your TAT-Mates!
TAT Monthly meeting
August 21, 7 pm at Hideaway on 81st and Harvard. Hang out, do a little club biz, and change the tri world ;-P
Blue Rose Mile
August 25, 7 pm Blue Rose RiverFest one-mile running race (time trial format). An evening one-mile race along our beloved River Parks trails. Details here: http://www.tulsarunner.com/blue-rose-mile/ and they have a Facebook page too. TAT is a supporting sponsor.
August 3, 2012 No Comments
Tulsa Parks Department presents its annual Kids Triathlon on July 28, 2012. Race is at 8:00 am, but signup closes Friday evening, July 27, with the pre-race meeting. Location: McClure Park, 7th and Memorial.
TAT assists with the transition areas and bike courses. We've also produced some training videos, one of which is at this link: Long Run Course.
We're looking for volunteers to assist on Friday evening with the course marking, and on race-day as course marshals. Contact Larry Rahmeier for details.
July 18, 2012 2 Comments
A friendly reminder that the TAT BYLAWS DEFINITION of "Family" is:
"one parent or a couple and their offspring under 18 years of age".
It costs the club $6.00 per person to insure each member, so PLEASE do not sign up your one-year old, for example, or a family member who is not truly participating in triathlon (Gramps and Aunt Eunice).
Furthermore, ORU has asked us in the past to *not* promote a TAT membership just as a way of bypassing regular ORU gym membership. They feel that the pool use is a perk for true TAT members. We do NOT want to wreck the great relationship between TAT and ORU pool!
Although not spelled out in TAT bylaws, let’s agree that the youngest age that can be on our club roster is the youngest age USAT allows for Youth Competition, which is six years old.
Membership dues are very low already. So let’s play fair.
Carolyn (president) and Matt (membership)
June 20, 2012 No Comments
Tulsa Area Triathletes – Summer Swim Camps!
~ ~ ~Beginner CAMP! ~ ~ ~ Intermediate CAMP! ~ ~ ~ Beginner CAMP! ~ ~ ~ Intermediate CAMP!
- Learn to swim or Beginners (LTS): Monday nights - For those new to triathlon or continuous lap swimming. 8 week camp, Prep for Tri Tulsa Sprint in September
- 2. Mastering the Mile (MTM): Monday nights – For intermediate swimmers who want to become faster and more efficient in the water. The workouts are tailored to the participants. For those looking to do an Olympic or Half Iron Man distance, also to work on form and speed for Sprint or Full Iron Distance. This is not a Learn to Swim (LTS) class. I consider it the next step after LTS. Prep for Tri Tulsa Olympic Distance in September. Requirements: Able to Swim a 500 continuously or anyone who has completed a learn to swim camp or clinic.
Both classes include: One Video of your stroke with detailed e-mail of what to work on, drill instruction, dry land exercises, and pacing and mental prep. for race day. Also includes workouts to do between classes, usually the classes are broken down into two or three groups and each group gets a workout. I also try to take notes at most sessions so each individual will get personalized notes.
Where: ORU Aerobics Center 50 meter indoor pool.
When: Monday nights – Learn to Swim – 5:40 to 6:30PM
When: Monday nights - Mastering the Mile - 6:40 to 7:30PM
Date: Camps will start June 25th. Learn to swim and Mastering the Mile classes go for 8 weeks. They will meet every week for the 8 weeks unless the pool is closed or I have a scheduling conflict.
Cost: $120 (I am limiting the Learn to swim camp to 12 people, 8 weeks) (The Mastering the Mile class is limited to 15 at this time, 8 weeks)
Coach: Coach-Janet – I have over 20 years experience doing triathlon and swimming competitively, including St. Louis Masters and Tulsa Masters. I’ve been coaching swimmers for triathlon for over 8 years. Certifications: USAT Level 1 Coach and USA Swimming Level 1 Coach. I have several 26 minutes or better (1500 MTR swim) in Olympic distance races.
Other Info: Please refer to my web site for more details. http://coach-janet.com/
Required: Membership in Tulsa Area Triathletes - http://tatok.com/join-tat/
Contact: Janet Wilson – firstname.lastname@example.org. Build Your Swim!
June 2, 2012 No Comments